Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 11, 2001

Ten years ago today, I was in school walking down the halls after bringing my classes mail to the office when my principal made the announcement over the intercom, an announcement that I did not understand.. Something about a plane attack, I assumed a plane just crashed. Teachers started crying and they were able to listen to the radio/watch TV all day during classes. I live in Chicago and people we scared we'd be the next target, so many of the parents came to pick up their kids from school and I even remember some of the people  in my neighborhood boarding up their windows and doors in case something happened here..

When I got home, my mom was sobbing over the TV holding my baby sister, trying to get ahold of my dad who is a manager at O'Hare Airport. He wasn't home until about 1 am as he had to deal with all the flights that were canceled and he had to work with other airports to ground all the current in-air-flights. My mom told me that my dad called her to turn on the TV after the first tower was hit, and they both watched live on TV as second plane hit the second tower. That gives me chills just writing about them seeing that. Sometimes I am very grateful that I was only 9 when it happened because I don't know how I would have reacted if it happened when I was old enough to understand what was really going on.

I remember being scared just because my mother was scared, I thought we were all going to die and I remember asking my teacher if we were going to be okay. She said she did not know, but that at least for now, we were fine. I was only in 4th grade and I will never forget the horrible things I saw on TV that day. All those people crying and dying, jumping, covered in ash, the screams when the buildings collapsed one after the other...



9/11 is a day that the world will always remember and Americans will always take to heart.


I feel like my problems seem so very trivial today. All those people who died, innocent people murdered over terrorism, and here I am, not eating. My biggest problem is that I can't eat like a normal human being, but at least I am alive.

God bless everyone who died today, 10 years ago. They will never be forgotten.

1 comment:

  1. I feel my problems are nothing in comparison too. It was a massive deal here in UK too. My mum said she was watching "Crossroads" after the first tower was hit - she also saw the second tower being hit live on tv. I was 7, and I was at school when we had an "emergency assembly" and were told at school. I didnt fully understand either, and I guess I'm glad about that.

    It was such a horrible event, but hopefully the families can move on :/

    Take care, xxxxx

    ReplyDelete